Teenaa koutou e te whanau o te Kura a Rohe o Whaingaroa
On behalf of the entire staff in our kura, we welcome all of our students and their families into our school learning community for the 2020 school year. We hope that you have all had some quality time with friends and whanau over the summer break. School begins for all students on Wednesday 5th February at 8.50am with a Whakatau to welcome our new students and their whanau into our kura. Existing students may go straight into the hall. We invite all new students and their whanau to meet at the roadside entrance outside the school hall. Please be punctual as we would like to start this process promptly at 9.00am.
Celebrating Education in a Bicultural Environment”.
Our school mission statement reminds us that in partnership with our families, we are responsible for ensuring that we genuinely do our best to give all of our students the chance to experience success. The latest resources, buildings, furniture and ICT equipment help – but a positive, respectful, inclusive, and determined attitude by people who genuinely care is contagious. Great learning can and does happen because of a genuine desire by the teachers, strengthened in their efforts by the amazing support staff in learning, administration and property care to offer our students the best experiences to cater for their needs
School Starting Dates 2020
- The school office is open next Tuesday 28th January.
- Wednesday 5 February is the first day for students.
- Thursday 6 February is Waitangi Day – a holiday.
- We will resume school on Friday 7th February.
School Daily Timetable 2020
8:15am → Teaching staff on site
8:50am → The school day begins
9:00-11.00am → Learning Time (2 hours)
11:00-11:20am → Morning Tea Break
11:20-12:50pm → Learning Time (1.5 hours)
12:50-1:30pm → Lunch Break
1:30-3:00pm → Learning Time (1.5 hours)
3.00pm → The school day ends
Years 11-13 Students – Course Confirmation Meetings Wednesday 5 February – PLEASE NOTE
Please note that all timetable conformations will happen in C4 with the assistance of Whaea Pauline, Whaea Stevie and Matua Quenten.
Year 13 – 9:30am-11am
Year 12 – 11am-1pm
Year 11 – 1pm-3pm
Years 0-10 Class Lists
Class lists from the New Entrants and Year 1 right up to Year 10 are included in this newsletter – see the images attached below. Please remember that we are still receiving new enrolments and this is likely to influence these class lists in the next few weeks. So there may be a few changes before our first school day – Wednesday 5 February. You will be kept informed.
Students’ Stationery Requirements for 2020
- For all students in Years 1-10, stationery will be purchased by teachers and costs will be included in invoices that will be sent home for you to pay during the month of February.
- For all students in Years 11-13, a stationery list will be given to the students in the first week which families will need to purchase. Please note that we do not sell this stationery at school.
After school care 2020 – To be confirmed
We are currently working with another provider to explore possible options. We would like to thank “Arocha” for supporting our community last year with after school care. So please note that there is NO After School Care available at this time. You will be kept informed of updates.
School PE Uniform
This is compulsory for Years 7-13 and can be purchased from NZ uniforms (website – https://www.nzuniforms.com). You are required to purchase the PE polo shirt and blue shorts. The other items listed on the website are optional.
Teaching Staff 2020
We are able to confirm who our teachers are for 2020. They are as follows:
Senior Leadership Team
- Louisa Barham (Principal)
- Quenten Browne (Deputy Principal)
- Aroha Hohepa (Deputy Principal)
Leader of Learning: Student Support Schoolwide
- Naomi Tovio
Te Roopuu Aroha Ki Te Reo Kaiako
- Leader of Learning: Jeanette McDonnell-Rata
- Juanita Asi (new to Raglan Area School) (0-2 / 3)
- Kahurangi Takiari (3, 4 & 5)
- Chanel Ruawai (6, 7 & 8)
Years 0-3 Teachers
- Leader of Learning: Hilary Elliot
- Liz McCauley (1)
- Alison Hewett (NE)
- Kim Geros (NE)
- Steph de Besten (2)
- Annika Fries (2&3)
- Emily Meleshenko (2&3)
- Amy Haswell (2&3)
- Rebecca Hishon (Reading Recovery)
Years 4-6 Teachers
- Leader of Learning: Ann Ruxton
- Sheree Gibson (4&5)
- Nick Wilson (4&5 new to Raglan Area School)
- Jason Engledoe (5&6)
- Tukana Dalton (5&6 returning teacher)
Years 7-10 Teachers
- Leader of Learning: Gwyn Brodie
- Liam Coulden-Lavers (7&8)
- Jonathan Rickard (7&8)
- Jason Wairepo (7&8)
- Michelle Satchell (7&8 new to Raglan Area School)
- Joseph Rao (9&10)
- Ariana Millward (9&10)
- Te Whaiwhaia Ritchie (9&10)
Years 11-13 Teachers
- Leader of Learning: Pauline Sweetman (Gateway, Correspondence)
- Chanel Ruawai (Te Reo Maori)
- Dave O’Loughlin (English)
- Sandra Jonas (Maths)
- Hans Guersen (Health and PE)
- Cindy Tedeschi (Social Sciences and English)
- Lee Copson (Science, Physics)
- Angela Prain (Science, Biology, Horticulture)
- Rita Anjali (Maths, Chemistry)
- Celeste (Music)
- Ruth Hare (Drama)
- Kerry Arlidge (Visual Arts – returning teacher)
- Glenn Rangitonga (Hard Materials Technology)
- Stevie Gardiner (Food Technology and Hospitality)
- Deane Hishon (Surfing Academy and Graphics)
- Larry Fisher (Surfing Academy)
Ngaa mihi nui
Principal / Tumuaki