Kia ora koutou
RE: Raglan Area School Years 7-13 School Sports at Alert Level 2
I have had up to date conversations with our School Sports Coordinator and Board Chairperson. We now have more detailed information around Sport at Level 2 and the Board Chairperson and myself have reviewed our decisions and decided that we are able to continue with sport at Alert Level 2.
Our School Sports Coordinator contacted the Waikato Rugby Union, Waibop, Secondary School Sport Waikato and the Hamilton Netball Centre yesterday. At this stage she has our reentry confirmed for Basketball starting on Thursday and Rugby on Saturday. We will keep you posted about Netball and Football as appropriate. Please note – Rugby kick off has been moved to 10am due to restrictions around Alert Level 2. Our Sports Coordinator is also forwarding all the Alert Level 2 specific information for the different codes sent by our Regional Sporting Organisations over the past 24-48 hours.
We will continue to contact trace at games and training and follow sanitation procedures as detailed in Alert Level 2 Guidelines. Please make contact with your child’s sports team coach or manager if you want to discuss your child’s participation further. Please note the following information that has been provided to us by the Waikato Secondary Schools Sports Association. The WSSSA Executive has made the decision to recommence School Sport Fixtures under Alert Level 2. The details are as follows:
NO Spectators at Waikato Secondary School Sport Competitions and Events – At Alert Level 2
Secondary School Sport will proceed under Alert Level 2, with all fixtures being Spectator Free. This ensures that schools can manage the 100 person gathering limit or any other limits placed upon the organisers by venues. This decision has the safety of students and team support staff as a priority. We ask that our families please respect the wishes of all sporting codes, and our venue facilities and do your part to ensure the safety of our students so they can continue their competitions.
- NO SPECTATORS by request of WSSSA Executive are to be present at Secondary School Sport fixtures under Alert level 2.
- All School teams will complete a Team Register of authorised attendees.
- All sport codes will follow the Public Health best practices guidelines advised through their code where appropriate.
- Where possible we are asking our families to use the NZ COVID Tracer App at any venue that you attend for school sports.
- At all times people in any open space venues our families are reminded of the need to follow Public Health guidelines on social distancing.
At this time it is difficult for many people and while most of our young people wish to just play, there will be reasons why some families decide that their children will be unable to play.
We ask that you please keep your Raglan Area School coaches and / or managers informed so that if necessary, they have time to communicate if games are being deferred or defaulted.
Lastly, in line with Ministry of Health recommendations, please remember:
- Wash hands regularly. Sanitise when entering and leaving the facility. Cough / sneeze into your elbow.
- Sanitisation is important – clean gear before and after
- Maintain physical distancing of 1 meter when not playing sport
- Please stay home if you are sick or unwell.
Ngaa mihi nui – Whaea Louisa