|Our Mission, Vision and Values|
|Mana Rangatahi / Empowering Young People
Whakanuia te mātauranga i te taiao kākano rua / Celebrating Education in a Bicultural Environment
Tēnā koutou e te whānau o te Kura A Rohe o Whaingaroa
On behalf of the entire staff in our kura, we welcome all of our students and their families into our school learning community for the 2021 school year. We hope that you have all had some quality time with friends and whānau over the summer break.
Our school mission statement ‘Celebrating Education in a Bicultural Environment’ reminds us that in partnership with our families, we share the responsibility to give all of our students the chance to experience success. We are excited to be introducing Outdoor Education as a specialist subject from Years 7-13, Aotearoa NZ Histories from Years 0-10 and Te Reo Māori will be explicitly taught to Years 7-10 students.
Curriculum Delivery 2021
The curriculum will be delivered in three learning contexts in 2021; Māori-Medium Years 0-8, English-Medium Years 0-6 and English-Medium Years 7-13. Detailed information is available in the school prospectus which is available on the website.
Kura Teina (Junior School) Māori-Medium Years 0-8 and English-Medium Years 0-6 students will be taught in home rooms as they have been during 2020. Aroha Hohepa is the Deputy Principal leading Kura Teina.
Kura Tuakana (Senior School) Years 7-10 students will join Years 11-13 students in being taught by specialist subject teachers but they will start everyday with the same whānau teacher. The whānau teacher will be a key person who oversees each student’s individual learning plan for the year. Quenten Browne is the Deputy Principal leading Kura Tuakana.
School Starting Dates 2021
- Tuesday 26 January. The school office re-opens. Open hours are 8am to 4pm every day.
- Friday 5 February. Late enrolments will be processed and ALL Years 11-13 students will check in (see notes below).
- Monday 8 February is a public holiday for Waitangi Day which falls on Saturday this year
- Tuesday 9 February is the first day for all students. Buses will start on this day. We begin our day with a Whakatau to welcome new staff, students and their whanau. Existing students go straight into the hall from 8.45am. New students and their whanau are invited to meet at the roadside entrance outside the school hall by the waharoa. Please be punctual as we would like to start this process promptly at 9.00am. Weather permitting, we will open the bottom field for parking.
Senior Students Course Confirmation Meetings – Friday 5 February 2021
All Year 11-13 students are expected to attend to confirm individual timetables. Students meet in the staffroom at the 2 hour time slot allocated below. They are not required at school outside of this timeframe.
- 9am – Year 13 students
- 11am – Year 12 students
- 1pm – Year 11 students
Property Upgrades 2021
Workstreams for this year include:
- Completion of the the school perimeter fencing
- Construction of four new classrooms
- Construction of an outdoor education storage shed.
- Upgrading C Block at the front of the school.
- Painting all existing buildings (which has already begun)
- Resurfacing, marking and covering the outdoor basketball court adjacent to the bottom field
- New school signage to reflect our school values and expectations
- New school buildings and classroom Identifiers aligned to Ministry labels.
RAS School Daily Timetable 2021
|8.15 – 8.50am||Teaching staff on site|
|8.50 – 9.05am||Whānau Time|
|9.05 – 10.00am||Teaching & Learning Session 1|
|10.00 – 10.55am||Teaching & Learning Session 2|
|10.55 – 11.20am||Morning Tea Break|
|11.20 – 12.20pm||Teaching & Learning Session 3|
|12.20 – 1.20pm||Teaching & Learning Session 4|
|1.20 – 2.00pm||Lunch Break|
|2.00 – 3.00pm||Teaching & Learning Session 5|
|3.00pm||School Day Ends|
Class lists from the New Entrants up to Year 6 and Whanau Classes for Years 7-13 students are available on our school website (www.raglanarea.school.nz). Years 7-10 individual student timetables will be shared with the students on their first day at school. Please remember that we are still receiving new enrolments and this is likely to influence these class lists in the next few weeks. So there may be a few changes before our first full school day on Tuesday 9 February.
Students’ Stationery Requirements for 2021
- Years 0-6 stationery will be purchased by teachers. We are very fortunate to have had the costs for this stationery sponsored by Raglan Four Square proprietor – Satnam Bains. There are no costs for parents.
- Year 7-10 stationery lists will be given to the students to take home in the first week. Families will need to purchase the stationery themselves. Please note that we do not sell this stationery at school.
- Year 11-13 stationery lists will be available on the school website and linked to OfficeMax for online ordering and delivery.
After School Care 2021
We are currently working with another provider to explore possible options. We would like to thank “Arocha” for supporting our community again last year with some after school care programmes. So please note that there is NO After School Care available at this time. You will be kept informed of updates.
School Canteen 2021
We are currently in negotiations with our new provider and will let you know when the canteen will reopen. Meanwhile, please ensure that your children come to school with food and drink to get them through the day.
Swimming Pool Closed
The pool is undergoing repairs and will not be ready for use when our students arrive. As soon as repairs are completed, we will let you know and classroom swimming lessons will commence.
Confirmed Teaching Staff 2021
|Senior Leadership Team
Learning Support Coordinator
Te Rōpū Aroha Ki Te Reo Kaiako
Years 0-6 Teaching Staff
|Years Years 7-13 Teaching Staff
Ngā mihi nui
Principal / Tumuaki